Monday, February 9, 2009

I've seen fire and I've seen rain

Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've all heard at least something about the tragedy that has struck southern Australia. Fortunately for us, we're nowhere near the bushfires (it's like something happening in Toronto for someone living in Nova Scotia if that puts it into perspective) but a lot of people have died and a whole lot of people have lost everything in these bushfires which started over the weekend and are still blazing in some places.

Check out this link if you're interested.

Unfortunately there is also tragedy in the north with cyclone hits in Northern Queensland that have caused massive flooding...It seems oddly fitting that one end of Australia is battling fire while the other is battling water. Nature can be very harsh here and I'm sure the insurance companies are just sweating bullets.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks!

Not to be light and flighty after such a somber post, but I'm glad you guys are safe.

Don't I love it when my ignorance to geography outside of myself is publically displayed as terrible!

It's like the folks in Burkina who thought I knew the other Canadians they had once met, from Lethbridge. Mmmm, not so much.

Stay safe and cool!

(and in the case of Edie, cute!)